The above, in ground and semi in ground enclosure must be :
- Be at least 1.2 meters in height
- Prevent the passage of a spherical object 10 centimeters in diameter
- Have no fixture, projection or open parts enabling it to be climbed
- Be equipped with a self-closing and self-latching passive security device installed on the inside of the enclosure
- A pool with supportive anchors must be surrounded by an enclosure
- A hedge or bushes do NOT constitute an enclosure
Ladder or steps ? :
- All in ground and semi in ground pools must be equipped with a ladder or steps for easy entry and exit
- A new diving board standard «Residential Pools Equipped with a Diving Board» also applies and can be found on BNQ site.
An enclosure is not required if the following conditions exist
- Wall height is at least 1.2 meters from the ground
- Portable (inflatable) wall is at least 1.4 meters from the ground
- There is a ladder equipped with a self-closing and self-latching safety gate preventing its use by children
- In order to prevent children from climbing to gain access to the pool, every device linked to its operation (such as heater or filter) must be installed more than 1 meter from the pool wall or enclosure.
- The pipes linking the device to the pool must be flexible and must not facilitate climbing.
- To ensure compliance with these standards, a permit issued by the local municipality is required to build, install or replace a swimming pool or to erect a construction allowing or preventing access to a swimming pool.
- It is the responsibility of the consumer to consult his municipality to validate the terms and conditions that apply.
Safety Tips - Free self-evaluation test