Gather around the grill with this inspirational recipe and grilling ideas for family and friends.
- 1 Whole Turkey 7-8 kg
- 1 cup wood chips hickory, cherry, apple or blended
Barbecue rub :
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 4 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- *Makes 1 cup rub
- By hand in a bowl rub the Turkey with BBQ rub. Refrigerate overnight for best result and flavour. Remove the Turkey from the fridge and set on the Beer can holder. Beer can should be 3/4 full to allow for steam to build in the can, pour one quarter of the beer into the lower tray.
- Pre-soak wood chips in a bowl with water overnight or soak with boiling water 30 minutes to 1 hour before cooking.
- Preheat the BBQ (Broil King Keg- grill set on second level with diffuser kit ) Gas Grill set indirect heat to 325°F.
- Place the turkey on the beer can holder and place on cooking grate. Cook until the juices run clear, 3 1/2 to 4hours. Turkey Farmers of Canada recommends cooking a whole turkey to an internal temperature of 170°F (77°C) in the breast and 180°F (82°C) in the thigh.
- Add a handful of presoaked wood chips directly to the hot charcoal every 45 minutes throughout the cook cycle. Gas grills add woodchips to a smoker box placed over a functioning burner on the flav-r-wave.